In the United States, approximately 82,000 toxins are in use, but only a fourth have been tested for toxicity. Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Cleansing or detoxification is the body’s way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. But sometimes it needs some help.
A relaxing, cleansing bath facilitates and enhances our body’s natural detoxification process. Some benefits of a cleansing bath include:
- Ease stress
- Improve sleep and concentration
- Help muscles and nerves function
- Improve oxygen use
- Improve absorption of nutrients
- Help form joint proteins/brain tissue
- Help prevent migraine headaches
- Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
Ingredients of a detox bath
They contain magnesium sulphate, two compounds that help in our bodily functions. Magnesium regularizes enzyme activity. Sulphate helps build brain tissue and joint proteins.
Adding essential oils to your bath has many benefits. They release stress and anxiety, assist with muscle pain and make for an aromatic, luxurious experience.
Baking soda is a safe, natural and inexpensive addition to your bath. Its main function is to alkalize the body and balance the effects of a highly acidic diet. It also leaves the skin feeling soft and silky.
Are you ready for your very own natural spa treatment? While a regular bath is great, follow these instructions to get a detox!
- Run a hot bath and add 2 cups epsom salt, half a cup baking soda and 8-10 drops of lavender essential oil. Other oil options are marjoram, juniper, rosewood, sandalwood, ylang ylang. This combination lowers toxins, lowers stress-related hormones and balances your pH levels.
- Play some soft music, light candles and create a soothing ambiance.
- Immerse as much of your body in this divine water as possible. Stay for at least 20 minutes. Breathe slowly and let yourself go…
- When done, take a quick, cool shower. don’t use any harsh soap or shampoo as your pores are really open.
- *Enjoy the brand new, stress-and-toxin-free you. Side effects include lots of energy, happy singing and feelings of peace. Recommended weekly.
When was the last time you ran yourself a bath? What are you looking forward to, during that time?